Monday, October 6, 2008

GMGM's dilemma

In case you don't know, there are three young players looking to crack an already crowded Capitals roster.

Eric Fehr, Chris Bourque and Karl Alzner all have made claims as to why they should be Washington Capitals come Friday night, but who realistically has a chance of making the team?

Yup, you guessed it, we are gonna break it down. Here's the story lines.

Chris Bourque - The Hall of Famer's son looks to start his own legend.

"I want to be a Washington Capital more than anything. This is where I see myself playing this year." - Bourque

Key preseason stats: 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points. Game tying goal vs. Boston on Sunday Oct. 5.

CK Take: The knock on Bourque isn't his play, but rather his two way contract. Bourque can be sent to Hershey without having to pass waivers.

Projection: Hershey, but don't be surprised if he is first on the call up list. Expect him to be a Capital if an injury or major slump occurs on the main roster.

Eric Fehr - Fighting for a job, Fehr hopes this will be the breakout year that has eluded him.

"I've had a couple of years where I wasn't able to perform at my highest level, but this year there is no real excuse for me." - Fehr

Key preseason stats: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, +1,

CK Take: Fehr's preseason hasn't been stellar, and compared to Bourque, he only has two advantages. His size (6'4, 212) and his one way contract. Fehr will have to clear waivers if he is sent to Hershey and a young power forward such as Fehr is likely to be snatched by a rebuilding club.

Projection: Fehr stays, his one way contract keeps him from packing for chocolate town.

Karl Alzner - Smart and conservative, Alzner's stay-at-home game could have an immediate impact on the Capitals.

"I have no idea what’s going on. I am just trying to be consistent. If I can be consistent, then that’s good for me because that is something I pride myself on." - Alzner

Key preseason stats - 2 assists, 2 points, +3

CK Take: Don't let Alzner's stats fool you. Scoring isn't necessarily his game, solid defense is. Alzner has been solid, committing few mistakes while having a calm presence on the ice. Alzner presents a salary cap problem, and with the Capitals already feeling the crunch, it hurts his chances of "rocking the red," at the season's start.

Projection: Hershey. Alzner's cap hit presents a problem for the Caps, but if Boudreau really wants Alzner, they'll find a way to make it work. Just don't be disappointed if come Friday, he is wearing brown.

- CK

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, man. I don't think Gabby and GMGM will shy from the waivers if they're called for. I was at the Bruins game last night, and bluntly, I think at least Erskine and possibly Jurcina might be on the chopping block. Erskine especially looked downright bad last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be interesting to see. I think my scenario is the caps "playing it safe," but I wouldn't put it past them to see Bourque and Alzner in red on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

 
Technorati Profile