Monday, April 6, 2009

Cold Pizza - More Ovie and LeBron, Crosby Fights Again...



Crosby fights Keith Ballard after Ballard absolutely destroys Malkin with a clean hit. Anyone else getting sick of this trend, fights after clean hits? [Puck Daddy]

Deadspin offers the best analysis of the Ovie/LeBron meeting of all the blogs. Sounds a bit like what I said if you don't mind me tooting my own horn (toot, toot). [Deadspin]

Ovechkin is pulling a Keith Ballard on Malkin's run for the Art Ross, and he's winning over Malkin fans for the Hart. [Kukla's Korner]

For your information, the Southeast Division has two confirmed teams in the playoffs. The Canes clinched after beating the Penguins 3-2... Southbeast. [NHL Standings]

A Sabres fan chronicles his night at Verizon Center. Turns out we're classy fans. [The Hockey Writers]

KHL Finals update: Lokomotiv blanks Ak Bars in Game Three. [The Program]

Pucks and Books has a great piece about the rebuild and its mastermind, George McPhee. [On Frozen Blog]

3 comments:

  1. RE The Crosby fight: While Ballard's hit was clean, it was a dangerous hit that dumped the league's leading scorer on his head. In that situation a teammate has to stand up for him.'

    I don't like the fights after clean hits either, but I think this one was justified. Hell, even Ballard knew it was the only thing to do.

    http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/archive/2009/04/05/ballard-on-crosby-s-fight-quot-the-right-thing-to-do-quot-4-5-09.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if a fight between Crosby and Ballard was immediately needed. I mean that's what enforcers are for, to set ground rules and ensure that these things don't happen.

    I like that Crosby stood up for his teammate, but the fight came during a PP and Crosby drew another minor nullifying the PP. I think at that point the best thing to do would check on Malkin and then have the enforcers settle the dispute, not send away your best offensive player for seven minutes.

    I'm not going to be one of those idiots who goes "oh Crosby shouldn't have fought, he's lame, he's a wuss" because I think what he did was "right" but just at the wrong time. Like I said, check on Malkin, go to enforcer, stay on ice and let the big boys fight. Fighting over clean hits while on the PP and in a tie game seems a little odd to me.

    Thanks for the comment Hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the classy fans thing, though outside of any Sabres/Caps tilt I'm a Caps fan, same goes. Most people were utterly confused when I cheered that both teams had scored, rightfully so I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

 
Technorati Profile